Advanced Technical Troubleshooting (OPS RCA)
Root Cause investigations performed by Engineering, LEAN, Maintenance and Quality staff are about using effective, visible and user-friendly tools and templates to allow them to dig deeper into problem deviations in a structured and repeatable way. The most successful problem investigators are better at asking the right interrogative questions to the right SMEs. They ensure they get certain practices right, which is the key to success:
- Identifying the CORRECT OBJECT/FAULT –Investigators need to understand that the “devil lies in the detail”. The aim is to get all the stakeholders to agree on the specific object & fault of the deviation.
- Investigate all the RELEVANT DEVIATION DIMENSIONS – This approach ensures the different unique “factor analysis” elements involved with the problem deviation is identified are addressed.
- Asking the RIGHT QUESTION from the right SMEs to get the right answer! Simply asking the right person uniquely structured questions will deliver the right answer!
- Design the CORRECT AND MOST ACCURATE SOLUTION to remove both the technical and root causes.
We will demonstrate, and you will learn and apply these tools/templates with its unique worked questions during a one-day intensive workshop and address the all too familiar challenges for today’s “real time” time pressured incident environments.
Anticipated Outputs – What you would acquire in this 2-day workshop!
- The realization that even a complex problem deviation can be reduced to one OBJECT and one FAULT reducing its complexity.
- A well proven and tested “FACTOR ANALYSIS” that provides the guidelines and increased confidence in using a systematic and repeatable investigation approach that works.
- Remove irrelevant information very early in the investigation process, which eliminates “trial & error” attempts.
- The understanding that there is a major difference between “Technical Cause & Root Cause” and that this single fact is the difference between success and failure.
- Design a practical and effective solution to remove cause, first time every time.
Contents: Utilize the KandF™ processes and templates to:
- Identify the correct object & fault successfully with appropriate SME’s (Object & Fault drill technique)
- Systematically identify the unique elements of the deviation (Factor Analysis) with the correct SME sources (SME Analysis Technique)
- Identify the Technical Cause that triggered the deviation (Hypothesis Analysis)
- Identify Most Probable Technical & Root Cause(s) logically by systematically testing SME inputs against the deviation elements (Testing technique)
- Identify a consensus solution with actions to remove both causes and prevent recurrence of this and other associated incidents.