As an executive or manager when was the last time....
- Your company unplugged its email because it was a long weekend?
- Your customer said take your time my problem can wait?
- Your Board or Boss said, “don’t worry about the results”?
I’m guessing NEVER to all 3.
The reality of being a leader today is we are overloaded with data, directives and desires from all sides. Because we don’t want to “miss anything” or “not respond” in many cases we:
- Zero in on interesting but irrelevant information
- Take assumptions as facts
- Get too far in the weeds and forget what field we are plowing
- Or react impulsively because doing something is better than nothing
As a leader you must:
- Have a simple way to rise above the noise and sort complex situations,
- Quickly distinguish between strategic and operational issues,
- Be able to set context and clearly delegate priorities to those you manage,
- And have transportable tools that you use for problems, decisions, and risks.
In short, you must have a repeatable method to simplify and solve issues that come your way, so you can make your budget or numbers.
One tool I created that you can use to quickly understand a situation and put the issues in context is shared below.
Benefit from this simple strategy and decision-making framework (SD Framework) in 5 ways.
- Speed Your Assessment of Any Situation – because its repeatable and captures all the issues
- Reinforce Your Confidence That A Complete View of The Situation has Been Captured
- Provide Content Guidance as To What Type of Issue you are Dealing with
- Encourage you to Separate Strategic From Operational Issues
- Make Issues Visible So Your People Can Easily Collaborate
If you would like more information on how companies we work with PROFIT from CLARITY through the simple yet powerful decision-making tools we embed I invite you to comment or contact me to share your thinking.